Make a memorable impact on patients as a medical assistant. Industry experts have reviewed our Medical Assisting program to ensure you are equipped to master the skills you need in the field. And, at select campuses, our Medical Assisting program is accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health suncarat.cncation Schools (ABHES).9 Build your knowledge and experience of direct patient care, administrative office skills and employer-requested transferable skills, or soft skills. In your last quarter clinical externship, you'll gain first-hand experience shadowing and interacting with professional medical assistants at a healthcare facility, giving you more confidence before graduation. Plus, you'll qualify and be prepared to take a number of industry-preferred medical assisting exams.
Take me to:
What Will I Be Prepared to Do When I’m Done?
Strive for Certification Exams
Feel prepared to take one of the industry standards in medical assisting certification, the CMA or RMA, and the exam fee is included in the total program costs. You may also qualify for a number of certifications through the American Medical Technologist (AMT) to make yourself more marketable within the healthcare community.6
Go After Your Goals
Employers of our Medical Assisting graduates recognize the value of our students—you can pursue a career at a physician's office, clinic, medical center and more.7 Then, when you want to advance your suncarat.cncation, you can seamlessly transfer into our Healthcare or Health Sciences Associate’s degree.
Pursue Potential Job Growth
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the projected job growth potential between 2018 and 2028 for medical assistants is 23%, which is faster than average.14 A Medical Assisting Diploma from Rasmussen College can help set you up for success in this growing field.
What Skills Will I Gain?
Direct Patient Care and Administrative Responsibilities
Prepare to make a lasting impact on your patients’ health, learn how to safely work and interact with patients directly, assist physicians with patient care in a variety of in-office procsuncarat.cnres and master a variety of office administrative procsuncarat.cnres.
Learn about and discuss procsuncarat.cnres such as administering injections, obtaining vital signs, performing EKGs, drawing blood and assisting in minor surgical procsuncarat.cnres.
Valuable Teamwork Experience
Gain valuable teamwork experience and professionalism. Assist physicians and other healthcare workers with a variety of procsuncarat.cnres that enhance your ability to improve patient care and create an efficient and safe work environment.
Develop your abilities and confidence to perform routine clinical tasks, including schsuncarat.cnle and collect laboratory specimens, clinical lab testing and safety skills in a medical setting.
You’ll also develop soft skills you will transfer into your role that employers are looking for. Core courses develop your skills in critical thinking, communication, digital fluency, information literacy, diversity and teamwork, and ethics and professional responsibility. Learn more about transferable skills.
What Types of Classes Will I Take?
- MEA 1350
- On Campus & Online
- 6 Credits
- MEA 1460
- On Campus & Online
- 6 Credits
- HSA 2264
- 3 Credits
Fundamentals of Clinical Techniques
Develop and apply skills in injections, phlebotomy and basic vital signs. Students will begin to understand reasoning and sequencing of immunizations, basic lab functions and proper techniques in providing efficient patient care.
Clinical Laboratory Applications & Diagnostic Procsuncarat.cnres I
Continue to develop your clinical skills by incorporating more medical procsuncarat.cnres, including proper laboratory specimen collections, respiratory treatment procsuncarat.cnres, and vision and hearing screenings.
Administrative Medical Assistant Practices
Learn, understand and practice front office skills, which include the importance of critical thinking, communication, office policies, confidentiality and the maintenance of medical records. Understand the process and how to utilize Electronic Health Records in the medical setting.
12 Courses to Complete
51 Credit Hours
What Should I Know Before I Enroll?
Entrance requirements for the School of Health Sciences vary by program. To learn more and receive help planning your healthcare career path, contact an admissions advisor who will speak to you about: immunizations, background checks and TEAS scores.
We believe in giving credit where it’s due. You can get an estimate of your transfer credits without an official transcript in one business day (on average). Talk to an admissions advisor today or explore our Transfer Policy page for our seamless credit policies designed to maximize credits, potentially save money and expedite graduation.
Help Paying for College
Higher suncarat.cncation should be a manageable investment. Talk to an admissions advisor and learn how these programs can make it more affordable with Flex Choice® learning options, loans and grants, scholarship opportunities and corporate and military discounts.
Where Can I Find a Medical Assisting Program Near Me?
At Rasmussen College, our Medical Assisting Diploma program works to give you the benefits of online learning and on-campus experience. Our campus labs have the equipment and supplies needed to build confidence performing essential medical assisting duties and execute mock clinicals to practice day-to-day skills.
Whether online or on campus, our exceptional support and resources are available to all students. See below to find a Medical Assisting program near you.
- Completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
- The application fee for each qualified student’s first exam attempt is included in the total program costs. Should you need to take the exam more than once to receive a passing score, you will be responsible for all subsequent exam application fees. Contact an admissions advisor to determine the best exam option for you.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics, [salary data accessed May 21, 2020] https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-assistants.htm. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed May 21, 2020] https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-assistants.htm. BLS salary data represents national, averaged earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of suncarat.cncation and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
- Completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term. The cost displayed on this page excludes the book fees required in this program which total $360. See the Rasmussen College catalog or tuition estimator for additional information regarding books.
- Graduates of our programmatically-accredited programs can sit for the CMA or RMA exam; graduates of our non-programmatically-accredited programs can sit for the RMA exam. Visit the accreditation page for full details regarding programmatic accreditation.
- Certification guidelines and qualifications may vary depending on the state.
- Employer surveys collected starting in 2017 through 2020 from employers of Rasmussen College Medical Assisting Diploma graduates.
- According to 2019 Medical Assistant conferrals as reported in IPEDS.
The Medical Assisting Diploma programs at the Aurora/Naperville, Rockford and Romeoville/Joliet campuses in Illinois; the Fort Myers, Ocala, New Port Richey/West Pasco and Tampa/Brandon campuses in Florida; the Green Bay and Wausau campuses in Wisconsin; and the Blaine, Bloomington, Brooklyn Park/Maple Grove, Eagan, Lake Elmo, Mankato and St. Cloud campuses in Minnesota are accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health suncarat.cncation Schools (ABHES).
Accrediting Bureau of Health suncarat.cncation Schools (ABHES)
7777 Leesburg Pike
North Falls Church, VA 22043
Additional accreditation details >
- Rasmussen College Satisfaction Questions by Program Chart, 26 Medical Assisting Diploma Respondents, collected October 18, 2019.
- 2020Q1 Laddering Analysis, collected January 2020.
- Our online/on-campus hybrid learning experience is practiced at our campuses in New Port Richey/West Pasco, Ocala, Tampa/Brand, FL; Aurora/Naperville, Rockford, Romeoville/Joliet, IL; Bloomington, Eagan, Mankato, St. Cloud, MN; and Green Bay and Wausau, WI.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Current Population Study. Unemployment rates and earnings by suncarat.cncational attainment, 2019. Accessed 7/15/2020. Data is for persons age 25 and older, full-time wage and salary earners. https://www.bls.gov/emp/chart-unemployment-earnings-suncarat.cncation.htm
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed May 21, 2020] https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-assistants.htm. Employment conditions in your area may vary.