You can make a positive impact on patients’ lives while working primarily behind the scenes with our NAACLS-accredited Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) Associate’s degree program. You’ll take comprehensive courses, from clinical chemistry and microbiology to hematology, transfusion medicine and phlebotomy for well-rounded knowledge of the medical laboratory technician field. Our advanced curriculum and blend of virtual and hands-on practicums are designed to help you gain job-ready skills that employers seek, prepare for MLT certification and allow you to assist with patients in this fulfilling field.2 The Medical Laboratory Technician program is available with Flex Choice®, which allows you to combine traditional online coursework and self-directed assessments—a more affordable way to receive credit for what you already know.
Take me to:
What Will I Be Prepared to Do When I’m Done?
Strive for the MLT (ASCP) Exam
Comprehensive curriculum and real-world experience are designed for Medical Laboratory Technician certification. Upon graduation, you will be prepared and can apply to take the MLT (ASCP) certification exam.2
Start a Career in Healthcare
Graduates of our MLT program feel confident starting their careers in the healthcare industry in a hands-on lab facility.
Pursue Potential Job Growth
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the projected job growth potential between 2018 and 2028 for medical and clinical laboratory technicians is 11%.7 A Medical Lab Technician degree from Rasmussen College can help set you up for success in this growing field.
What Skills Will I Gain?
Learn how to accurately perform diagnostic testing and clinical laboratory procsuncarat.cnres in a real-world setting.
Gain hands-on skills to type and crossmatch blood for transfusions utilizing professional-grade laboratories.
Equipment and Technology
Operate and maintain medical lab equipment and have insight on relevant technology to help you succeed in your profession.
Understand safety standards and practices that are vital to any healthcare setting.
What Types of Classes Will I Take?
- MLT 1325
- 3 Credits
- MLT 1377
- 3 Credits
- MLT 1448
- 3 Credits
Teaches the skills to perform a variety of blood collection methods using proper techniques and universal precautions.
Introduces the theory and practical application of routine and special hematology procsuncarat.cnres and presents red blood cell function, hematopoiesis and associated diseases.
Clinical Microbiology I
Studies basic concepts of microbiology with an emphasis on cell structure and function of human pathogenic microorganisms.
24 Courses to Complete
91 Credit Hours
What Should I Know Before I Enroll?
Entrance requirements for the School of Health Sciences vary by program. To learn more and receive help planning your healthcare career path, contact an admissions advisor who will speak to you about: immunizations, background checks and TEAS scores.
We believe in giving credit where it’s due. You can get an estimate of your transfer credits without an official transcript in one business day (on average). Talk to an admissions advisor today or explore our Transfer Policy page for our seamless credit policies designed to maximize credits, potentially save money and expedite graduation.
Help Paying for College
Higher suncarat.cncation should be a manageable investment. Talk to an admissions advisor and learn how these programs can make it more affordable with Flex Choice® learning options, loans and grants, scholarship opportunities and corporate and military discounts.
Where Can I Find an MLT Program Near Me?
At Rasmussen College, we want our courses to be available on your schsuncarat.cnle, not the other way around. Select programs are available for enrollment through a specific campus and nationally online, but students complete the courses online and are able to utilize online and on-campus support and resources. See below to find out where you can find a Medical Lab Technician program near you.
- Completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
- The application fee for each qualified student’s first exam attempt is included in the total program costs. Should you need to take the exam more than once to receive a passing score, you will be responsible for all subsequent exam application fees.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics reported through CareerOneStop, [salary data accessed November 27, 2019] https://www.careeronestop.org/toolkit/. BLS salary data represents averaged earnings in Minnesota for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of suncarat.cncation and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics, [salary data accessed May 21, 2020] https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes292061.htm. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed May 21, 2020] www.bls.gov/ooh/. BLS salary data represents national, averaged earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of suncarat.cncation and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
- Labor Market Employment Outlook as reported by Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development [career information accessed December 11, 2019] https://apps.deed.state.mn.us/lmi/projections/Results.aspx?dataset=1&geog=2701000000&code=292012.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Current Population Study. Unemployment rates and earnings by suncarat.cncational attainment, 2019. Accessed by 7/15/2020. Data is for persons age 25 and older full-time wage and salary earners. https://www.bls.gov/emp/chart-unemployment-earnings-suncarat.cncation.htm
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed May 1, 2020] www.bls.gov/ooh/. Employment conditions in your area may vary.